About this place
Built in the 13th century to serve as a watchtower, the belfry also served as a landmark for fishermen in the town of Dunkirk.
In 1440, the Lord of Dunkirk, Robert de Bar, decided to raise the tower to its current height of 58 meters and turn it into the bell tower of Saint Eloi Church, which was built at the same time.
The current carillon dates from 1962; the previous one was lost in 1940 during the massive fire that destroyed the city and the floors of the belfry. It consists of 48 bells with a total weight of approximately 16 metric tons; the largest bell, “Jean Bart,” weighs 7 metric tons on its own.
Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005, the belfry consists of six stories and tapers gradually: it measures 15 meters wide at the base and 8 meters at the top. You’ll find the city’s tourist office at its base, and by taking the elevator, you’ll be able to discover Dunkirk’s most important landmarks thanks to the panoramic view. The Cenotaph, located at the base of the belfry, pays tribute to all victims of war.
Built in the 15th century, St. Eloi Church was designed in the shape of a Latin cross with a transept.
In 1558, during the Spanish occupation, French forces, led by Marshal des Thermes, invaded the city, burning and devastating everything in their path; only the tower escaped destruction. A new church was rebuilt in a different style (Gothic). Only a vault connected the church to the belfry, providing a passageway for pedestrians.
It was not until 1787 that the church was permanently separated from the belfry. It therefore had to be adorned with a façade. The first was designed by the Parisian architect Victor Louis. The current façade dates from 1894 and was designed by Van Moë.
This church sustained extensive damage during both world wars and was restored after each one.
It has been designated a historic monument since 1916.